Go Back   Spiritwood Forums > General Forums > Que's Tavern

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Alyssia Kanath
Thunderlord

A sudden purring liquid chuckle rolled throughout the massive chamber as the dragon's green eyes glittered with amusement and fondness for the woman who stood before him. "Tell me child, " His voice rumbled smoothly, "Why must you always choose the most difficult path...?"

Taken aback at the question, Alyssia blinked and then began to laugh with him. After a moment of shared mirth, she shook her head and grinned a bit to him, "Because the path easily trodden holds at it's end...less reward."

Seeming satisfied with her answer, Stormwind nodded gently before laying his head down upon the precipice. A whuft of air and dust was stirred, flying upwards as the heavy jaw nestled against it. "What is it that you require? Or is this simply a social call?" He murmured.

The warrior pondered a moment before sighing softly, "I need advice..."

A ridge that hang over one eye rose slowly in an almost exact immitation of Alyssia's characteristic eyebrow quirk. "You...? Since when have you been one to listen to anyone's advice...? Let alone parental?" Another rolling chuckle.

She smirked, "I am serious, athair." Using her people's language to address him properly as her father. "I have before me two roads an' both come wit' a great deal o' pain."

He studied his daughter for a long moment as she stood there quietly. The pain was obvious upon her features and whatever this decision she had to make was...it was obviously a difficult one. Heaving a heavy sigh, a silvery white glow began to form around the great dragon....enveloping him wholly as the gigantic shape began to shift and contract. Soon there was no longer a dragon, but a large radiant glow of magic floating down upon the stone near her. That ball of energy began to then reform itself into a smaller more humanoid form. As it began to fade, standing before his daughter was what appeared to be a middle aged man with short cropped silvery white hair. Adorning his jaw was a neatly trimmed beard of the same hue and hanging upon his strong warrior like frame was a full set of gleaming masterfully crafted magical scale armor. The shades of scales all the same as his own... Vibrant green eyes gazed downward upon his daughter with gentle care. He then said, his voice softer... "Tell me child, what vexes you?"

She looked up to him, a single tear trickling from the corner of her eye. She began to open up to him as he stood before her, Alyssia's eyes lowering in sadness as she spoke. She spoke of her beliefs...her duties. She fretted about her own darkness... Her desparate need to defend ....everyone. She laughed bitterly at this, because she then would admit that she could not protect everyone. There were times when she could not even protect herself. Love and family, the two most important things to her. That which her world revolved around. The Rangers and their past...their history...their love of family. How each would...should...be willing to sacrifice for the other... A lesson she learned all too well more than once when they had put themselves on the line for her even when she did not wish them to. And then the conversation fell to her sister.

"I do nae know wha' to do...I fear I...we...can no longer trust her..." She whispered softly.

"Ahh yes...the woman who dislikes me so..." The dragon laughed softly.

"She does nae hate you athair...she jus' believes you to be cruel at times."

His eyes twinkled in amusement, "Can't we all...be cruel...at times?"

She only nodded mutely. "She is so narrowly focused on protectin' us an' Spiritwood as she says tha' she has lost sight o' the true purpose..."

"Has she? Are you so sure?"

"She obsesses about this agreement...every move I make I get slapped wit' it like a dog bein' scolded wi't rolled parchment..."

"Do you deserve it?"

"Sometimes I do...I admit..."

"What is the issue?"

"She does nae realize tha' as Rangers we 'ave duty nae only to our own territory but to the defense o' ALL o' Sosaria. ALL o' it's people. ALL o' the Goddess' creation. Life...duty...the power o' good. There are few o' us who must keep the balance but the Rangers as a whole do wha' is in their hearts...wha' they feel is right an' honorable. No Ranger would allow these atrocities against those they loved an' nae step in..."

"And yet you feel as if she is apathetic to all plights that she does not feel concern her family?"

"It seems so..." Alyssia nodded quietly.

"How long before those plights do directly effect you?"

"They already do. Ruden an' I...friends an' companions ...our family outside the Ranger brotherhood are fallin' victim."

"But you and he...are all she seems to care about...?"

"Aye...she expects us to not defend those we may call family but she does nae care for...."

"Are you sure she doesn't? Or does she just counsel caution?"

Alyssia paused, frowning. "I fear for 'er...Kenyon told the counsel o' her true nature...I could nae stop 'im."

"They do not trust her words any longer then?"

She shook her auburn head mutely.

"Do you?"

"I...I do not know..." Quietly.

"If she loves you...when the time comes...she will make her choice. Family....or reason." He tilted his head to the side, "Would you forsake her? Would you do that which you accuse her of?"

Her eyes snapped upward and she scowled, "Nae! Tha' is nae our way..."

"So in the end...you must make the exact same choice... Family..." He smiled gently, "Or reason." His hand rose and touched over her heart lightly as his words, though whispered, radiated with wisdom and power beyond reckoning. "This, my child." He tapped gently, "This is the only compass you shall ever require."

Alyssia stared up into his eyes, her strong facade crumbling like dust and upon her face was the look of a scared and lost little girl. "I...I love her...so...much. I fear so much for her..."

"She is a big girl... I have a feeling she feels the same for you at this moment..." He smiled gently.

"She thinks us afraid. Some are...but I am nae. I am nae afraid o' the shadows nor the darkness. I have walked in it as both ally an' adversary. The nature does nae bother me. The undeath. The vampires an' liches, death knights an' walkin' corpses. They mean little to me. But wha' I do fear is tha' there are too few who truly understand tha' no matter how benign it may seem. No matter how quietly it waits. No matter how much trust it tries to build within you...soon...it will turn upon you..and unleash nothin' but horror. An' it shall wait until all are unprepared. 'tis like locusts, flyin' from crop to crop an' devourin' everythin' in it's wake. Soon...soon...no matter wha' happens....tha' swarm will turn towards all o' us." She sighed, "Even those it said it would protect..." Shaking her head, "There is no defense from evil...not that kind... You must either make a stand or let it consume you wholly."

He nodded gently, "And you know what that is like, do you not..." It was less of a question and more of a statement.

"I ...do.." She whispered. "Before the Undead came back there was no issue, but evil is attracted to itself an' those we have agreement wit' have begun workin' wit' those who would seek to destroy everythin'."

"Such is it's nature, this is true." Another quiet tap over her heart.

"Child, she has never betrayed you. What makes you think she shall do so now?"

No answer came.

"Then you are afraid, but not of what she thinks."

"I fear...abandonment again...by her..." She whispered, grief stricken. "Never has she hurt me knowingly...I realize this... But, the thought o' her abandonin' me...us...lettin' us drown in a sea of tha' which we 'ave fought against all along...jus' because she sees no use in fightin' it." She stopped speaking, the pain too unbearable.

"It was not abandonment..." Softly he whispered, "Even I understand her reasons so long ago...and so do you."

A mute nod in return before she began to cry, breaking down the last crumbling stones of her defenses at the memories. He pulled her into his arms and held her in a fatherly way. The first time in a very long while. Letting her emotions drain upon him, washing away the pain. She admitted brokenly that her vision had become skewed in a sense. That she once again was trying to atone for things long past that everyone had forgiven her for...but herself. Chasing shadows only plunges one into despairing blackness. Instead, she would let the shadows come to her. However those not hovering in the shadows would feel more wrath from her. Those who directly attacked all she held dear.

He nodded quietly, listening for awhile until she had calmed.

Alyssia looked up to him,"I shall defend those I love." Her voice took on a steel edge, "An' I know tha' in the end my brethren...those true...those who know about family an' wha' it means...shall stand wit' me. I will nae be leashed from defendin' tha' which I hold dear. I will nae sacrifice one for the other. Tha' which makes me choose....is the automatic loser." Alyssia stated grimly. "But at the same time, I will not seek it out...I shall wait...an' when it flashes before my eyes...the jaws o' the Stormwolf will snap wit' the sound o' thunder..."

"A torch hangs before you, child..." He whispered. "Will you take it?"

She nodded slowly, "The only light in the darkness..."

Suddenly Alyssia felt a tugging sensation upon her soul. She growled, not wanting this to end so soon, "Athair..."

Stormwind nodded with a smile, "It is alright...go child...I will be watching..."

"go raibh maith agat, athair." Was all she had time to get out before the pull was too powerful to fight and suddenly in the blink of an eye she slammed back into her body. So forcefull was the reconnection that she arched in bed, gasping loudly before snapping upright and looking around frantically to see what had caused her early return.

Slowly, emerald eyes lowered to her lap where sat an absolutely terrified ferret. Little Mallan had wandered into her room and crawled up upon the bed. As he was crawling over her sleeping form the sudden physical sensation to her body caused the reunion of spirit and physical form. He lay there upon his side, little paws up in a defensive motion. A shocked look upon his furry little face. Had she not known better...she would have thought he was struck dead with fright, for the poor little guy had not moved once. It then hit her, that most likely ...her spirit had passed right through him as it returned. Knowing that animals could see such things where many others can not, the absolute shock of Alyssia's "ghost" probably was enough to scar the poor thing for life.

And despite herself...she began to laugh uproariously at the prone little fuzzball as he tried to pull his frantically pumping heart back into his chest.

Step one you say we need to talk
She walks you say sit down it's just a talk
She smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As she goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Let her know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past her defense
Without granting innocence
Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told her all along
And pray to God she hears you
And pray to God she hears you

As She begins to raise her voice
You lower yours and grant her one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
She will do one of two things
She will admit to everything
Or she'll say she's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

---------------------------------------------
OOC: Lyrics are "How to Save a Life" by The Fray - slightly modified.

"There are no unknown roads in life...only forgotten ones. ~Alyssia Kanath"
"Thunderlord history is that mexican hot sauce with the chicken on the label that is writen in spanish but there is no definition in spanish for how spicy it actually is."~ Korthos Du'Vallon

Last edited by Alyssia Kanath; 03-08-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Alyssia Kanath is offline   Reply With Quote