Spiritwood Forums

Spiritwood Forums (http://www.spiritwood.net/forums/index.php)
-   Crossroads Forum (http://www.spiritwood.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I think it may be time ... (http://www.spiritwood.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2280)

Kyrian 05-11-2016 11:13 AM

I think it may be time ...
 
About a year from now, Spiritwood.com will be 20 years old. Crazy!

I think it may be time to wind it down. Our forums are dead, the last post was in January I think, and it's normal to not see any posts even when you change the board criteria to the last 100 days :)

A number of the stragglers who still drop in here from time to time have buddied up on Facebook. I hope some are also even closer and keep in touch frequently in other channels, but it clearly is not this one :)

I think in the 20 years the Internet has evolved quite a bit, and social group havens have become the free norm.

The last non-happy b-day thread on the forum was almost a year ago (back in August).

The domain runs me about $37 a year. Last time around, in May 2015, I renewed it for 2 years, so it's paid for through May of 2017 (ironically, again, the 20 year anniversary). If someone wants to hang on to the domain name, I will do what I can to transfer it over. I'm sure there are cheaper options than Network Solutions, although they are the original main player and I have always felt safer with them than using a cheaper fly by night options, but my domain name ownership experience outside of this annual fee is zero, so I am very out of touch with the game :)


I hope everyone is really doing well. Not sure how many will read this (chime in if you actually see this thread).

For fun, and to leverage the actual features of the BBS, I created a poll below.

Kyr (Hank)

Dara 05-12-2016 08:46 AM

Hehe, that poll needs more options! :D I do check here almost daily, but it's just part of a morning routine of a number of sites I click through to make sure I'm kept informed of the important stuff... like movies, webcomics, patch notes, and what my friends are up to on Facebook. :cool:

'Tis true that it's pretty quiet in here these days... so I can certainly understand leaning toward saving some $$ that's otherwise practically going down the hole. O'course, it's not easy to let go of the past sometimes, especially when tied to so many awesome memories... I'm a nostalgia nut, so should be no surprise I'm posting this right now. ;) Spiritwood will always hold a special place in my heart, at least until I'm so old that I can't remember my name anymore. :p

You're right in that 'net culture has evolved into something very different than what it was in the late 90's and early 00's... with social media dominating, forums like these aren't the hubs they once were. Heck, I host the forums for the Warcraft guild I'm in, and we're all very active in the game, but even so it's rare to see more than a post or two in a month! :o If I wasn't already throwing my own money into a similar hole, I'd consider taking over this one. :p hehe

20 sounds like a nice round number to set sail for the undying lands across the sea, though, if the general consensus says that it's time. I'll miss it terribly, o'course, but as long as some of us can stay in touch on FB or IM's or whatever new social/community "thing" comes along, Spiritwood will never really be gone. It's pretty amazing that this forum/domain has lasted this long, with all due thanks to you and Rai!! 'Tis appreciated beyond words, and I hope you both feel like it's been worth it... even with the all-too-frequent long periods of silence between posts.

If anyone happens to be lurking, and if we're not already "FB friends" yet, feel free to sling my gamer-ego a ping! :) Thalia's Facebook

Kyrian 05-12-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dara (Post 11858)
Hehe, that poll needs more options! :D I do check here almost daily, but it's just part of a morning routine of a number of sites I click through to make sure I'm kept informed of the important stuff... like movies, webcomics, patch notes, and what my friends are up to on Facebook. :cool:

'Tis true that it's pretty quiet in here these days... so I can certainly understand leaning toward saving some $$ that's otherwise practically going down the hole. O'course, it's not easy to let go of the past sometimes, especially when tied to so many awesome memories... I'm a nostalgia nut, so should be no surprise I'm posting this right now. ;) Spiritwood will always hold a special place in my heart, at least until I'm so old that I can't remember my name anymore. :p

You're right in that 'net culture has evolved into something very different than what it was in the late 90's and early 00's... with social media dominating, forums like these aren't the hubs they once were. Heck, I host the forums for the Warcraft guild I'm in, and we're all very active in the game, but even so it's rare to see more than a post or two in a month! :o If I wasn't already throwing my own money into a similar hole, I'd consider taking over this one. :p hehe

20 sounds like a nice round number to set sail for the undying lands across the sea, though, if the general consensus says that it's time. I'll miss it terribly, o'course, but as long as some of us can stay in touch on FB or IM's or whatever new social/community "thing" comes along, Spiritwood will never really be gone. It's pretty amazing that this forum/domain has lasted this long, with all due thanks to you and Rai!! 'Tis appreciated beyond words, and I hope you both feel like it's been worth it... even with the all-too-frequent long periods of silence between posts.

If anyone happens to be lurking, and if we're not already "FB friends" yet, feel free to sling my gamer-ego a ping! :) Thalia's Facebook

Totally relate to all of your responses on this. I know I have pushed for this once before, but I think it's because I find the lack of activity extremely depressing when I do come here. I totally understand it, and harbor no anger or disappointment in anyone. It's just a reality, but for me the forums and site have become somewhat of a buzzkill x 10. I come here, I sigh, and move on, missing what once was.

The money is a thing, of course, adding up year over year for the domain, but I wouldn't mind it if it was being put to use. So for me, I am a huge nostalgia guy as well, but like I said, I get saddened when I come here. It's like a facebook wall that only has one post per year :)

Slayne 05-14-2016 11:20 PM

*hugs to Kyr and Rai*
 
Thank you, if I've never said it. This place has meant so much to me over the years. :)

Innumerable little things and bigger things, and all the feelings of being a part of something - but I particularly remember when my mom died 17 years ago - I hadn't been able to talk about how I felt, I hardly reacted at all, until I sat here one day and typed out all the things I could remember about her (at that moment) with my fingers and hands just pounding the keyboard.

So thanks y'all, for lots more than you know. :)

Ruden 05-15-2016 12:41 PM

All long journeys come to quiet retirements.
 
I actually got an email alerting me to this post on my phone while doing some night work. I got kinda gitty and hurriedly rushed to the post. And then when I read it I got a little sad.

As has been said before it was all because of nostalgia. I agree it seems silly to keep paying on something that rarely gets any use, when there are alternatives out there. Yet, part of me wishes to return to the long past, and the disappearance of these boards would mean, this would never come to pass. Of course, we can never go back. Perhaps, when we've all retired and have that kind of free time again. :) Regardless, it doesn't depend on the existence of these boards.

I rarely check facebook myself, but Aly has most of you friended at least and is on facebook at least every day. So I'm kept in the loop.

And on a side note, I've found the real location of the Rock of Dihn. It's in Spiritwood, Saskatchewan. :)

Rock of Dihn? Spiritwood, Saskatchewan? Coincidence?

Kyrian 06-02-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruden (Post 11863)
I actually got an email alerting me to this post on my phone while doing some night work. I got kinda gitty and hurriedly rushed to the post. And then when I read it I got a little sad.

As has been said before it was all because of nostalgia. I agree it seems silly to keep paying on something that rarely gets any use, when there are alternatives out there. Yet, part of me wishes to return to the long past, and the disappearance of these boards would mean, this would never come to pass. Of course, we can never go back. Perhaps, when we've all retired and have that kind of free time again. :) Regardless, it doesn't depend on the existence of these boards.

I rarely check facebook myself, but Aly has most of you friended at least and is on facebook at least every day. So I'm kept in the loop.

And on a side note, I've found the real location of the Rock of Dihn. It's in Spiritwood, Saskatchewan. :)

Rock of Dihn? Spiritwood, Saskatchewan? Coincidence?

Considering the howling wolf on top, that is pretty awesome :)

Raina 06-12-2016 05:08 PM

I'll take it if nothing else, and hold on to it IF you don't want to pay for it any longer. I have quite a few and one more isn't an issue, and my cost on them is considerably less than what your paying yearly. i just.. yea, don't want to see it go, even if it's just a placeholder of the past.

That Said, I completely understand, and agree, I'd love to see this place get more love, and pondered some things we can do, but it's all as to what ya'll want.

It's funny really, since I'm not a Facebook/Twitterer or anything nearly that social. Which I guess just makes me more sad since this is my only 'keep in touch' place.

There of course, are other things could turn it into, it's own 'Social Networking' Site (Elgg, Dolphin, Diasporia), or File Backups/ Photo Sharing (OwnCloud) or Shared Messaging (GNU Social). There's tons that can be done, the only question is... if people aren't using the forums, what would they use?

My, more than 2 cents I guess. That being said, love you all, Regardless of the future, Spiritwood has been one of the greatest things 'growing up'.

~Rai


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrian (Post 11857)
About a year from now, Spiritwood.com will be 20 years old. Crazy!

I think it may be time to wind it down. Our forums are dead, the last post was in January I think, and it's normal to not see any posts even when you change the board criteria to the last 100 days :)

A number of the stragglers who still drop in here from time to time have buddied up on Facebook. I hope some are also even closer and keep in touch frequently in other channels, but it clearly is not this one :)

I think in the 20 years the Internet has evolved quite a bit, and social group havens have become the free norm.

The last non-happy b-day thread on the forum was almost a year ago (back in August).

The domain runs me about $37 a year. Last time around, in May 2015, I renewed it for 2 years, so it's paid for through May of 2017 (ironically, again, the 20 year anniversary). If someone wants to hang on to the domain name, I will do what I can to transfer it over. I'm sure there are cheaper options than Network Solutions, although they are the original main player and I have always felt safer with them than using a cheaper fly by night options, but my domain name ownership experience outside of this annual fee is zero, so I am very out of touch with the game :)


I hope everyone is really doing well. Not sure how many will read this (chime in if you actually see this thread).

For fun, and to leverage the actual features of the BBS, I created a poll below.

Kyr (Hank)


Kyrian 06-17-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raina (Post 11865)
I'll take it if nothing else, and hold on to it IF you don't want to pay for it any longer. I have quite a few and one more isn't an issue, and my cost on them is considerably less than what your paying yearly. i just.. yea, don't want to see it go, even if it's just a placeholder of the past.

That Said, I completely understand, and agree, I'd love to see this place get more love, and pondered some things we can do, but it's all as to what ya'll want.

It's funny really, since I'm not a Facebook/Twitterer or anything nearly that social. Which I guess just makes me more sad since this is my only 'keep in touch' place.

There of course, are other things could turn it into, it's own 'Social Networking' Site (Elgg, Dolphin, Diasporia), or File Backups/ Photo Sharing (OwnCloud) or Shared Messaging (GNU Social). There's tons that can be done, the only question is... if people aren't using the forums, what would they use?

My, more than 2 cents I guess. That being said, love you all, Regardless of the future, Spiritwood has been one of the greatest things 'growing up'.

~Rai

Well said in all points.

In terms of turning it over, I will see if I can arrange that, especially if you get a better deal and feel comfortable with it. I always just stuck with NS because they were the original, and I feared if I tried to change to godaddy or other options to save a few bucks, and somehow lost the domain name as part of a swindle or oversight, members here wouldn't take too kindly to it :)

Raina 06-26-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrian (Post 11866)
Well said in all points.

In terms of turning it over, I will see if I can arrange that, especially if you get a better deal and feel comfortable with it. I always just stuck with NS because they were the original, and I feared if I tried to change to godaddy or other options to save a few bucks, and somehow lost the domain name as part of a swindle or oversight, members here wouldn't take too kindly to it :)

I'm with you, I was the same way for a long time, then gave GoDaddy a try. While not least expensive I'm sure, it's been pretty decent and paying for another domain won't break th e bank. I'd even rather just see a static page with a Spiritwood Logo and nothing else then let it possibly go into someone else's hands just... because.

~Rai

Hodur 07-25-2016 12:23 PM

No!
 
I'm getting a divorce, I'm going to need you guys :)

You can't go back, but your way forward may take you familiar places where you have work to do. Gandalf didn't think, "if I go back to the Shire it just won't be the same. Bilbo's 111 and that whippersnapper Frodo barely an adult, I won't have anything in common with him."

I do think this community needs to morph into something more 21st century, and I think our relationships are based on a lot more than the Rangers of the Heart now. So I say keep spiritwood.net in place for now while we make sure that everyone on this site is as connected to everyone else as they need to be. After that we use some sort of social media platform (instagram, twitter, facebook, tumblr, blogger, I don't know, I'm still learning this social media shit) to allow any of us to post anything we want on any subject. One thing I would miss badly about this place is the great discussions we have about random ass topics like whether you could blow someone's leg off with a .45 or what the effective range of a crossbow is.

Haha, look at the dude who never comes around any more with an opinion :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.